ABOUT THE HEARTH
The eight working art studios, café and community hall are situated in the restored early 17th century manse, with its wattle and daub walls.
The Victorian gothic revival Horsley Village Church has a fascinating history which dates back to the 17th Century. The church was involved in setting up the Hearth Project which aims to bring the local and wider community together through a varied programme of regular creative participation.
There are art classes and courses, regular musical evenings and children’s activities. During the year the Hearth holds several themed open studios events.
The Hearth is a hub for arts, music, heritage and hospitality, working together with Horsley Village Church for the benefit of the community.
Our resident artists provide The Hearth with regular income as well as bringing rich diversity and quality of work. This encourages a wider appreciation of art and crafts as well as reaching a wider audience of people of all ages and backgrounds. Each artist and the Hearth Café operate as separate businesses under the umbrella of The Hearth.
The Hearth is managed by a board of voluntary trustees involved in governance and day to day management.
Volunteers are always welcome. Ad hoc tasks are available as well as opportunities for regular commitments to assist at gigs, heritage talks, gardening or marshalling at events.
As a charity The Hearth is always seeking sources of income from hall hire, events, grants and donations.
All proceeds raised go towards developing The Hearth to make an even better visitor experience.
The Hearth is an increasingly popular visitor destination.
- 1786 visitors attended events and activities in The Hearth Hall in March alone. This was split almost equally between children and adults.
- The hall has been hired for a total of nearly 850 hours over the past year.
- Performing arts and music events this year have been full to capacity.
- The Hearth cafe is regularly full. Its presence provides a community meeting place for local residents and the wider public, accessible to all, seven days a week.
- The trustees are seeking ways to increase the car park capacity and 'overspill' areas for customer use.
For management information about The Hearth please go to
www.charitycommission.gov.uk/find-charities/ and enter our registration number: 1106143